These guidelines were developed several years ago, and are presented as an outline of the requirements for a good set of bylaws by the University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives.
Guidelines for Cooperative Bylaws
University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives
These guidelines were developed several years ago, and are presented as an outline of the requirements for a good set of bylaws:
- A clear, concise statement of the purposes for which the association is formed and the powers which the association may exercise. (By-laws must agree with Articles of Confederation.)
- Specific statement of who is eligible for membership, the requirements to become a member, voting rights. Should include a section on issuing of membership certificates.
- Specific rules regarding suspension or termination of membership and compensation for investments in the association.
- If organized as an association with capital stock, requirements should be spelled out specifically.
- A section concerned with meetings of members, including:
- details concerning the regular annual meeting (including order of business);
- special meetings, including requirements for calling a special meeting;
- rules regarding notice of meetings;
- rules concerning voting (absentee ballots, etc.);
- the number and percentage of membership which constitutes a quorum (it is very important to include this).
…Continued in attachment.